DETECT KEY MOMENTS OF EVERY PURCHASE PATH AND CREATE PERSONALIZED RELATIONSHIPS

Difficulties generating in-store traffic ?
Over solicited consumers are less and less responsive to mass campaigns. Create an individualized relationship that is pertinent and coherent across all channels, meet client needs and reinforce loyalty.

THE CHALLENGE

Creating an individualized relationship with customers entails taking into account their context (customer profile, purchase history, browsing behaviors, geolocation…) and the context of the brand locally.

Individualized speech requires interpreting the context to automate customization across all touch points.  

THE SOLUTION

Advalo Pulse is a predictive marketing platform that anticipates the needs of the customer in order to propose the most performant content in function of it’s context. Interfaced with your existing tools, it allows for the most relevant information to be relayed on all of your channels. 



CAPITALIZE ON KEY MOMENTS OF CUSTOMER JOURNEY 

 

Thanks to it’s customized algorithms – appetence score, product recommendations,… The Advalo platform customizes and enriches all of your marketing campaigns, on all channels, at the most relevant moments. By creating a relationship with the customer that is more respectful of their needs, you limit commercial pressure and increase commitment to the brand. 




DETECT PURCHASE INTENT OF EVERY CONSUMER

 

After online and offline data consolidation, the Advalo platform develops innovative predictive models to understand where each consumer is in their purchasing journey. You can identify in real time the context of each visitor:customer segment, eligibility for an offer, behavioral data, the key moments that best influence purchase decision. 



COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CLIENTS WHERE THEY ARE

Less than 15% of your clients react to your emails… How to reach the remaining 85%? Thanks to the Advalo platform, you use new levers to animate your customers where they are: capture purchase intention of your customers even before they arrive on your site, switch your relationship standpoints on digital channels and work on brand awareness throughout their life cycle. 


Want to learn more about Advalo’s platform?

Advalo – New York

79 Madison Ave
New York NY 10016
contact@advalo.com

Advalo – Paris

26 Avenue de l’Opéra
75001 Paris
contact@advalo.com

Advalo – Rennes

22 avenue Jules Maniez
35000 Rennes
contact@advalo.com